Friday, May 8, 2009

To Crop or Not to Crop

That was a question troubling my new Mommy and Daddy. See my new Daddy is against it since it's purely a cosmetic operation. Since I'm a "family member" and not a stage piece he felt strongly about leaving my ears natural. My mommy who didn't want it to hurt me, but because she like the way it looked stood on her position for cropping. After much debate and looking at pictures of grown Great Dane puppies like me along with careful research and reading of positive and negative stories, they came to a decision. I'll let my new Daddy tell you what it is.

We have decided not to crop Scooby's ears. Here are our reasons for that:
  1. Completely cosmetic surgery
  2. Only 1 vet in the area still performed cropping
  3. Painful for Scooby
  4. Painful for the family (care, being extra careful)
  5. Cost


I've seen pictures that I loved the way the grown Dane looks with the cropped ears and then we have also seen others that have gone horribly wrong. Either way the Great Dane is a majestic looking animal. Keeping Scooby from suffering pain and overall irritation from cropping his ears and then the necessary healing process was are determining factor. I just hope he isn't a vain little pup like his new Mommy is. LOL! I would never criticize anyone for having their dogs ears cropped as it is any owners final decision. We have just decided as a family together to leave Scooby's ears the way they are.







5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you get to keep your ears au naturale!

    http://dead-cockroach.xanga.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Informed, educated and compassionate decision. Kudo's to the family and Yay for Scooby the handsome fella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIPPEE keep your ears, please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to hear it. Au Naturale for doggies (ears or tails) is always best :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had our Poodle puppies tails cropped, but they were only three days old and they went right back to sleep. I think your decision is wise.

    ReplyDelete